Peacock 54: Devon’s Back

Well my day started at 0100 after not being able to sleep.  I drank about 6 cups of coffee and gorged on some food.  My wife and kids drove me to the start and we got there at 0500.  After helping set up I payed my $10 entry fee, went to the bathroom, and then the trail briefing.  Don said 20 seconds and I ran to my wife threw her my HURT shirt, turned on my flashlight and headed up the muddy trail at the back of the pack.  It rained and rained and rained.  I was hoping Rob was okay driving to the three way.  He ended up being at the end of Kuaokala road.  Thanks Rob it was great having you around.  On the way I slipped while trying to negotiate on of he many switchbacks on the road.  I slammed hard but bounced right back up, looked around to see if I owed anyone beer and kept moving.  The singletrack was like something I remember from HURT ’02 being on the Nuuanu ridge.  The wind was howling and the rain seemed to be going sideways. 

I felt like I was on a mission and I was.  I came into this race knowing I was going to finish one way or another.  The mud was muddy, the rain poured, and the runner ran.   I saw the front runners coming up long road as I was going down.  The aid station at the bottom was phenomenal thanks Cheryl and everyone else who volunteered.  They scooted me out of there just as fast as I came in.  I went up longroad like a bat out of hell.  I must have reached the top in like 45-50 minutes.  I caught up to Frank and ran with him until the start/finish.  Jah bless my wife.  Her lovely smile was there with some dry shoes with more traction and my long sleeve collared Patagonia shirt.  My Sauconys insoles were sliding all around and bunching up.  So I put on my Montrails with some dry socks and headed out with Frank.  Thanks to PJ and John for being there and giving encouragement.  Also everyone else that was there I know I  forget names but much mahalos.  Of course it was still raining but I got to the top of the switchabcks in 30 minutes.  That was my goal.  We tried to run the road but to no avail ended up skiing on the mud or sloshing through the puddles all the way to the end of the road.  I had to put a shirt on for risk of being hypothermic.  Yes you can become hypothermic in Hawaii. 

The singletrack I tried to move as quickly as possible because it was just plain BAD.  I was negotiating a little downhill section and ended up sliding on my butt all the way down and almost off the mountain.  Needless to say I didn’t try to go as fast as I was on that section anymoreJ  On the crossover I ran and I ran.    I didn’t want to be pulled form the race at 2000.  I was having to much fun.  I saw the front runners here so I knew they were about 2.5 hours ahead of me at that point.  They were going fast.  I got to Long road and put on my headlamp and carried my handheld.  I ran down long road at a leisurely pace knowing that my running on crossover had given me much needed time to cruise the rest of the way to the finish.  It was dark, foggy, and rainy.  Much needed condition to make the tale more interesting.  I got the bottom of long road at 1917, 43 minutes ahead of the cutoff, and drank my ensure and took some bread and chips.  Thanks everyone who pushed me through. 

On the way down I heard Hawaiian chanting and drumming coming from the corn field so as I was leaving I asked if anyone heard it too.  Cheryl said” yeah I hear it keep moving!”  so I did .  Alone again in the dark and weird weather.  I was trying to catch up to Rex for someone to share the night with but never made it.  I saw Mike coming down and he said to keep moving.  I kept pushing my way up long road dodging the many centipedes that wanted to attack me.  I made it to the top and thought, maybe if I wait here for Mike he will run the rest of the way with me.  Then something caught my eye I looked up towards the campground and saw a headlight looking at me.  That freaked me out enough to start to run a little even with my sore groin muscle.  I got the dirt road and just kept moving looking back to see fi the light followed or if mike and his powerful walk would catch up.  Everyone told me just keep moving so I did. I pushed an d pushed . I would sometimes hear weird noise or crashing of little landslides or pigs rustling around or peacocks making their funny sounds.  I would then see people standing on the sides of the road and I would ask them if they need a headlamp and moving closer I could tell they were just trees.  Just trees, no runners.  I was alone and the last one out.  I knew as slow as I was going Mike was not behind me.  I kept looking back though trying to believe he would be there trudging along but no.  Forever alone in the wilderness of thought.  But not forever I made it to the three way intersection and knew that I was going to finish with time to spare I ran some parts but the uphills were painful.  I knew I pushed too hard trying to catch up to Rex. 

I got to the top of the switchbacks and saw the lights of civilization and the finish.  At the top I picked up a Petzl headlamp and carried it down.  I took my time going down.  The rain had sopped but the mud was still there.  It had taken me both times a half hour to get up and this time 45 minutes to get down.  I ran it in and was greeted by a crowd of people. The time was 2319, 41mintues shy of cutoff. We shook hands and then packed up to leave.  Once I stopped moving I became ravenous and hungry.  I called my wife to come and pick me up.  On the way home I ate a pizza and it was good.  I have completed HURT 100K twice and done 3 Triple Trek 50K but that was the hardest thing I have ever done. 54 or 56 miles Peacock was just plain difficult.

I ate 24 Vanilla Bean GU

11 Roctane GU
9 Ensures
Piece of bread
1 banana
16 salt pills
Ibuprofen ?

I never ran out of energy except for my GPS ( 42 miles ) and I have Karl Meltzer to thank for my completion as well for giving me a training plan for the past month.  Also to the Zombies for their advice as well.  Now it is on to HURT 100 in January.   Hope to see you there.


Jah Bless And Give Thanks for the Sunshine,