Mango Madness 2023
Date: May 20, 2023
Start Time: 7:00 am
Race Director: Melanie Decker Koehl
PURCHASE ONLY 1 TICKET PER ACCOUNT.
REGISTRATION OPENS APR 22, AT 12:01AM HST.
DEADLINE TO REGISTER: MAY 17, AT 11:59PM HST.
Tickets for Mango Madness 2023 are not available.
About the Race
Date: May 20, 2023
Start Time: 7:00 am
Race Director: Melanie Decker Koehl
Mango Madness is a challenging race that is 10+ miles through tough, technical, and steep terrain of the Tantalus trail system. Participants will be led on a different route every year where there are unexpected detours along the way. Bring your game face and your sense of humor!
NOTE a change at the finish line: We’re proud to announce that the HURT Trail Series will be cupless! Bring your own reuseable cup for post-race rehydration.
Race Check-In Procedure
- LOCATION: The race will start/finish at Archie Baker Mini Park. Please be aware that there is construction on the left side of the park. We will set up on the right side, fronting Round Top Drive.
- PARKING: Please park along the side of Makiki Street or along Makiki Heights Drive. Do not block driveways. All participants must park on the shoulder with all tires COMPLETELY off of the roadway. Carpooling is highly encouraged. The vehicle operator is solely responsible for consequences that may occur due to illegal parking in the neighborhood. Please be respectful of the surrounding residential area.
- CHECK-IN: on race morning will be required at a table set up near the pumping station 6:20 – 6:55 am. If you miss the 6:55 am cut-off for registration, you must wait until after the race has started to register and begin your run. Your time will not be adjusted for the delayed start.
- At check-in, participants will be given a bib with an assigned number. Please display the number prominently on the front of your body for timing purposes.
- This trail is heavily used and can be narrow, so please be courteous to other trail users. The trail will be marked with bright pink ribbons. Blue ribbons = Bad. If you come across a course marshal (14 of them) please obey all signals and shenanigans.
- There is a very limited aid station about 1/2 way through the course. Please be self-sufficient. We encourage participants to carry at least 36 ounces of water. This course is extremely rugged with lots of vertical feet. Pace yourself and have fun. There is no time cut-off.
- If you leave the course for any reason, you must check back with the volunteers on course or at the finish so we can account for your whereabouts.
- There are no restrooms at the Start/Finish. The closest one is up at the Hawaii Nature Center.
- REMEMBER: Have fun! Be courteous to your fellow runners and show your thanks to the volunteers!
- Contact us if you have any questions.
Makiki Pumping Station (Archie Baker Park)
1959 Makiki Heights Dr
Honolulu, HI 96822
There isn’t one! The course changes every year and is a secret to all except the race director. Please follow directions of the course marshals, bring lots of water, and prepare to be challenged.
Awards are given to top ten in each of the three categories. Also the first in those categories to reach the Tantalus Pillbox, regardless of the current year’s route, wins the coveted KING/QUEEN/EMPEROR of the Mountain award.
HURT Trail Series Waiver
I wish to enter and participate in a HURT, Inc. Trail Series event. I accept the rules, conditions, and regulations of the event and will comply with them. I am aware of and assume all risks associated with this trail run, recognizing it is extremely difficult and hazardous for even well-conditioned athletes under the most favorable of conditions. The Trail Series Runs cover difficult mountainous terrain with precipitous drop offs in a tropical rain forest and span great extremes of humidity and temperature. I certify that (a) I am in excellent physical condition, (b) I have not been advised otherwise by a qualified medical person, and (c) I have sufficiently trained for participation in this event, on rugged trails. I am also aware that I may be exposed to physical injury from a number of natural factors on the trail, such as lack of water, threat from wildlife, rainstorms, rockslides, and hazards from vehicular traffic attendant to running across roadways. I understand and accept that the risks include the fact I may become injured or incapacitated in a location where it is difficult or impossible to get required medical aid to me in time to avoid additional physical injury, even death. Knowing these facts, nevertheless in consideration of HURT, Inc. accepting this entry, I HEREBY FOR MYSELF, MY HEIRS, EXECUTORS AND ADMINISTRATORS, WAIVE, RELEASE AND DISCHARGE the HURT Inc., State of Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources, Na Ala Hele Trail Group, RRCA, any official sponsor, entity, and the officers, trustees, directors, shareholders and/or members, agents and employees of each, all medical and other personnel assisting with the Run, or any of them and any other person connected with this running event, their representatives, successors and assigns, “Run Management”, FROM ANY AND ALL RIGHTS CLAIMS OR LIABILITY FOR DAMAGE for any and all injuries to me or my property, or for damage caused by me or by any else (including Acts of God), arising out of or in connection with my participation in this event, and further indemnify and hold harmless the said Run Management from any and all liability or claims arising out of or in connection with my participation in this event.
I understand that if I am under the age of eighteen, a parent or guardian must approve my race participation on this waiver. I will need to deliver this signed waiver either prior to the race or at the race start in order to participate.
I understand that entry fees are necessary to meet the costs of preparation months in advance of the Run, and that if the Run is canceled because of Acts of God, or other circumstances beyond the control of the Run management, the entry fee will not be refunded.
I understand that there are no refunds for entry fees should I choose not to participate in the event.
I understand that I cannot roll over my entry to the next year should I choose not to participate in the event.
I understand that I cannot transfer my entry to another entrant as the event is limited by permitting agencies.
I give permission for free use of my name, voice, picture or my writings for any magazine or newspaper articles, broadcast, promotion or other account of the event.
WAIVER of LIABILITY FOR MINORS (under 18)
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY! THIS IS A LEGAL DOCUMENT THAT AFFECTS YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS
The Participant and Parent/Guardian hereby freely, voluntarily, and without duress execute the Waiver under the following terms:
MUST BE COMPLETED BY PARENT/GUARDIAN AND MINOR
Participant and Parent/Guardian expressly agree that this release is intended to be as broad and inclusive as permitted by the laws of the State of Hawaii, and that this Release shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of Hawaii. Participant and Parent/Guardian agree that in the event that any clause or provision of this Release shall be held invalid by a court of competent jurisdiction, the invalidity of such clause or provision shall not otherwise affect the remaining provisions of the Release which shall continue to be enforceable.
RUNNER NAME _________________________________________________________________
PARENT/GUARDIAN NAME (PRINT) _________________________________________________
PARENT/GUARDIAN/PARTICIPANT has executed this Waiver as of this date: ______________
Use the form below to submit the signed waiver (must be logged in):